Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Park

 When your child is not mobile, outside independent activities are very limited.  I feel like going to the park is sort of a right-of-passage event for families in our stage of life.  It's the thing you do at least once a week when the weather is nice and your schedule permits.  It's also the favorite play date meeting place when the weather is good. However, going to the park has been more a source of pain and frustration for me.  It is no fun to go to the park and stand around with other moms and watch their kids play while your son sits in the stroller right beside you when he should be playing right along side them.  At most parks, there is not much that he can do besides be pushed on the swing or go down the slide with either Nate or I (and you can only do those things for so long).  Most parks are covered with mulch, so taking his gait trainer and having him explore it that way is not an option either. BUT, we finally found a park that is not like most parks!  This park not only has a spongy area that makes up the floor of the playground, it also has a giant toy structure that is handicap-accessible (and this park is just 10 minutes away!).  So, not only can Levi walk in his gait trainer through the playground, he can play in the playground area with other kids.  We went for the first time yesterday, and I could have cried I was so happy (but I was too happy to cry!).  It was such a joy to be able to watch Levi and have him be able to play among other kids, up and around them, instead of watching from a distance. The only bad thing about the experience was that I didn't have my camera :) There is always next time...and there will definitely be a next time, and instead of dreading it, I will happily find excuses to go! (Thanks Jen P. for telling us about it!)

2 comments:

  1. Love this!!! I see a playdate in the near future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! So happy for you and Levi. Thanks for giving your perspective on a trip to the park - something that many of us take for granted.

    ReplyDelete