Nate shared this with me yesterday morning, and I thought it was such a good reminder. I thought maybe you might find it as encouraging as I did:
http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/how-eternity-shapes-our-mundane
Here's a small excerpt:
"...we forget that our children are more than just potential adults. They are people made in God’s image and they have eternal souls. When the mundane looms larger than eternal life we forget who God is, who we are, and who our children are."
Sometimes (okay, a lot of the time) I get bogged down in the mundane every day things. I get overwhelmed by the small things that I want to get accomplished or want the boys to learn in the day to day that is our life with toddlers right now. Earlier this week, I was completely overwhelmed with thoughts concerning Levi and pre-school - his communication, his mobility, his cognitive understanding - and just feeling like a complete failure to him that I have not done enough to help him along. Yes, these things are important. But his capabilities or improvements in these areas do not define my worth as his mother, and even more importantly, they do not define him. Sometimes I lose sight of that, like I did this week.
I am thankful that God puts things in my path that remind me of what's really important. What defines us, and what is most important, is our relationship with Jesus Christ. That's the only thing that really counts in the end. Whatever Levi or Machiah accomplishes in life, the most important thing that they could ever do is accept Christ in their life and live a life that glorifies Him. And that should be my number one goal and priority as their mom - taking the every day moments to shape their hearts and minds for Christ.
Shanna and Nathan, wonderful perspective and insight. God is blessing you and your boys as you are helping to shape their lives everyday. I like the article you shared as over the last several years, I have found myself also saying, "in light of eternity, what really matters?" Thanks for sharing with all of us. JADA
ReplyDelete