The last informational post about Ethiopia was at week 5, so I thought I better get back to that. Continuing the theme of "visiting Ethiopia," I thought I would tell you about the food. We have actually eaten at an Ethiopian restaurant here in Fort Wayne, so we have had a
small window into authentic Ethiopian food. When we ate at this restaurant, we were able to have the traditional stew ("wat", in various flavors) and the injera (a type of bread) that you use to pick up and eat with the stew (they don't use silverware). The stews had beef, chicken, or lamb. According to wikipedia, many meals are vegetarian. Because of the religious beliefs of many Ethiopians, pork is rarely used in their culture. They use a variety of spices to give the wat it's flavor. One of the main spices that they use is called berbere, which gives a good hearty spice to the wat. They also use a lot of onion, so all of you onion-haters out there, beware! Here is a picture of what a typical meal looks like when it is served (picture courtesy of wikipedia). The injera is the flat stuff on the bottom with the wat in various varieties on the top.
One of these days, I would like to try my hand at cooking an authentic Ethiopian meal. If I do, I'll be sure to document it for your viewing pleasure! :)

Thanks again for sharing on Sunday! It was so good to hear what God has been doing in and through you these last 7 months and beyond! I'm so excited for you guys! You'll continue to be in our prayers as you wait and anticipate Baby J's arrival HOME!
ReplyDeleteThose piles look a little like baby food (there was one other resemblance that came to mind but...)
ReplyDeleteNo wonder most Ethiopians are skinny!
From Mom (Emama)