Saturday, March 24, 2012

It Matters

Kony 2012....Trayvon Martin....When Helping Hurts...

My head is spinning with new understanding and recognition of very weighty issues (to put it mildly).  Before we had L and M, (I am ashamed to say) I probably wouldn't have given much thought beyond a passing notice of the very public issues of Kony 2012 and Trayvon Martin.  But it matters to me now.  And it should have mattered to me before.  Becoming parents to two black kids doesn't change the facts of what has gone on and what currently goes on in America and around the world.  Being a white American, it seems like we have a choice to take notice or take action - but we don't.  It should not be a choice, especially as a Christian, to say that another life matters, regardless of skin color or race or where a person lives, and to stand up and say something is very wrong here.  What does that action look like, though? I don't know.  I think it looks different for different people.  But the question about action is in the "what should I do" not the "if I should do."

If you haven't spent very much time looking into these issues, here are some good places to start:


No comments:

Post a Comment