A couple of things about adoption and infertility:
Adoption is not a cure-all for the difficult feelings that one faces from day to day as a result of infertility. Sure, it may diminish the pain. But, nevertheless, there is still pain for the children that never came to be. So, yes, at times, it is still hard to hear people talk about their pregnancy or exclaiming over its hardships. I do wish that I could have experienced that, and at times, I have a rather crazy curiosity at what it might be like to feel a little foot kick at my ribs or a little elbow nudge out the side of my belly. When you know someone who has or is experiencing infertility, please be mindful of your conversations. While they may be wearing a smile on the outside, no doubt they are fighting a battle within to keep up the appearances. Also, while I am on this topic, the many women who are currently in the midst of infertility do not want to hear anything resembling the thought, "Oh, once you adopt you will get pregnant." Actually, I believe the statistic is something like 5% of couples who are infertile and choose to adopt will get pregnant. We just happen to hear all of the "it happened to them" stories. And as an adoptive mom, I don't/didn't like hearing that because I felt like people were saying, "once you go the alternate route, the real thing will happen." I didn't adopt to "test" God to see if we would be "one of those couples" and I feel like comments like that diminish the choice that we made and intrude upon the very beautiful gift of adoption.
As far as my own thoughts and struggles with infertility:
This is one of those things that is a little slippery for me to grasp. Sometimes it is hard for me to allow myself to mourn the loss that we have faced through infertility and be okay with that. On the one hand, we have still faced a loss and that feeling of loss will never completely go away. On the other hand, I know that without facing infertility we would not have Levi, and for that, I can actually be thankful to God for giving us such a great blessing through such a difficult trial. So, it's kind of one of those things that's hard for me to reconcile because while I am ever grateful to be where I am now it doesn't mean I have to "forget" where I have come from or pretend that the road we've traveled has been or will always be easy.
Well stated - again. ALL of us are guilty of being insensitive or less-than-gracious at times. We need to remember Rom. 12:15.
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
Thank you for the loving and honest words of wisdom!!!
ReplyDelete~Molly
Thanks for sharing this. Although our struggles with infertility are different, the same feelings and emotions rise up in me. And I would LOVE to wear a shirt that says, "fertility treatments and adoption don't equal a miraculous pregnancy!" So glad that God knows more than we do. Patrick and I are looking into adoption and your blog has been so encouraging. Thanks for sharing so much of your process!
ReplyDelete