Monday, August 9, 2010

Life

Almost another month has gone by. Crazy how time flies. I really have been meaning to update more frequently, but many things have stopped me. One of which is making my heart pitter-patter at increasing rates as I dig down to make this update. So, here goes...

Where to start? I guess I'll start with the hardest part first, the part that makes me not want to go any further because admitting it, especially on this blog (thus the extended avoidance), makes it all the more real. And reality hurts. A lot. Levi has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy. We have actually "known" about the possibility for quite some time, but we only found out with certainty about a month ago. We knew something wasn't quite right not long after we had been home. He wasn't meeting his milestones. He wasn't using his left hand very much. He wasn't putting any weight on his legs. We had an MRI. The call I received from our developmental pediatrician was definitely not what I expected and I will likely remember that day forever. At that point, though, it was less definitive and we still had more questions and few answers. We were scheduled for an appointment with the neurology department at Riley, but we had to wait over 2 months for an appointment. So, July 19 we headed down to Riley for a visit with the neurologist. We weren't exactly sure what to expect. We had only received a letter in the mail telling us of our appointment date and time with quite a bit of paperwork to fill out. I knew I wanted to see the results of Levi's MRI scan, but other than, I wasn't sure what to expect. Well, we got to see the scans and the doctor (the doctor who could use lots of help in bedside manner) explained what we were seeing in the scans. I won't go in to detail, you don't need to know that, and I don't even know if I could fully explain everything anyway...and I just don't want to. What it comes down to is that Levi has "mild to moderate" brain damage, mostly in the white matter area of his brain that affects his motor skills. Hence, the reason why he was not and continues to struggle meeting his milestones.

So there is the very shortened facts of what's been going on. I don't even know that even if I had wanted to post about this sooner that I even could have. I have had so much to process, so many emotions, so many thoughts, so many struggles. I think of all the things, the hardest was losing/readjusting our dreams once again (as was necessary with infertility). This is not how we pictured our life. We didn't ask for this. We naively thought that the hard part was over...the infertility, the wait for Levi...and we thought we would be happy ever after. Not that we can't. But, this just isn't the way we pictured it. Who does? Just as anyone with a child has dreams for them the minute they learn about their existence, we had dreams for Levi and our family. Dreams that, we know, our larger family shared, too. With the diagnosis of his CP, those dreams aren't vanished, I am not saying that. It's just adjusting to a new knowledge. We don't know what Levi will be able to do. The nature of CP is that it's really hard to know the prognosis (and there are a wide range of possibilities). It's a lot of wait and see...will he crawl? will he walk? will he talk? It's just hard to say right now because all of these things are controlled by the white matter part of the brain, the fine and gross motor skills that allow us the capability of doing what most people take for granted.

What we do know is that Levi is able to do many things. The things right now that seem to be most affected are his left arm and trunk (torso, shoulders, neck). So, he is not able to sit on his own, hasn't begun crawling, and obviously walking. We aren't sure about his speech, but we know in some way that is affected as well. But, we are working on all of these things and are hopeful that he will achieve them in time, whether in full or in part.

I don't know why God chose this path for us. I am sure I will never know. I do know He alone gives me the strength to get through it. And, I don't know what I would do, what hope I would have, if my eternal hope and trust wasn't in Him. On the hardest of days, that is what gets me through. But, those days are fewer and far between.

Regardless of what Levi is able to do or not, I love him more than I ever thought possible. His abilities or lack thereof, in no way change the way I feel about him or have felt about him since day one, November 23 when I first saw his beautiful face. If anything, I love him more and I am less apt to take him for granted. He truly is our Levi Bereket...our "connection" and our "blessing."


11 comments:

  1. And I exhale with you. I am so proud of you for opening yourself up and allowing God to use you, your circumstance for His glory. Others can/will feel your honest emotions tempered only by God's beautiful grace.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you too.

    jen


    Welcome To Holland
    by Emily Perl Kingsley


    I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

    When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

    After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

    "Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

    But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

    The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

    So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

    It’s just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

    But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

    And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.

    But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.

    * * *

    ©1987 by Emily Perl Kingsley. All rights reserved. Reprinted by permission of the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anxious to see how God uses you and your little man.

    hugs & prayers,

    jen

    2 Corinthians 1:3-11

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay, so weird, it told me it wouldn't post the poem that it was too long. sorry for the triplicate comments! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shanna,

    Thanks for sharing your heart...I know it's not easy to be vulnerable! I found my blog to be a great outlet as I processed our journey with Joanna too. I really saw through that how many people were praying for us and many reached out to let us know they cared.

    I can somewhat relate to never knowing the why's or reasons God allows things to happen the way they do... burying 2 of our children was not exactly in our family plan. I was challenged by a post Angie Smith wrote..."Several people have written me over the months and they have asked me this question in many different ways. 'Do you believe that God was responsible for taking your baby? How can you love a God Who would do that?' Here is my answer.
    I don't know why she is gone, but I do know Who had the final say. And it wasn't the snake.
    And because I know Who, I am willfully unconcerned with why. "

    I am willfully unconcerned with why?! I can say that most days I feel this way- His grace allows me to say this. It's not always easy though - I get weary of walking this road. But had I not gone down this road, I'd have missed some AMAZING scenery/landmarks/fellow passangers, you know?

    It's in those hard moments when God prompts friends to come alongside and encourage me. Sometimes it comes when I'm honest enough to share & sometimes it's in moments when I'm too overwhelmed with life and pain to share...yet HE STILL is gracious to meet my every need.

    Thank you for allowing us "IN." I will continue to lift you, Nate, and Levi up in prayer. One of the beautiful things about the body of Christ is in the living out Gal 6:2.

    It is our priveledge to lift you up, friends! We know one thing...that God doesn't make mistakes...can't wait to see how he uses you & Levi to touch hearts for eternity.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love you and Nate - and adore beyond words my most favorite and forever first nephew Levi.

    Akst Christen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A couple families who are walking a similar path......
    http://teamalexander.blogspot.com/p/abes-story.html
    http://rogersadoptionstory.blogspot.com/
    May you be encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know that you remember, but you sat next to my husband on your flight to Indy on your way home with Levi. I just found your blog address again in a pile of scrap papers and decided to stop by. I'm sure this post was hard for you to write, but I love how much your love for your son shines through in your writing. I have worked with lots of kids with CP over the years (I'm a special education teacher) and it is amazing the progress they can make with parents and therapists who are devoted to them. I will pray that Levi makes so much progress that the doctor with the bad bedside manner is shocked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nathan and Shanna,
    Thank you for sharing from your heart today as we have been praying for you and understood that your sharing was going to be all in God's timing. We, too, walk with you on your journey and know that no matter what, Levi is just as his name means, a blessing to you and to all of us. We love you three.
    MOM (Geemaw Conner)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ‎...Shanna and Nathan - just finally caught up to today's email and updates. What a grace-filled step you both have taken to share your story, not only now, but every step along this incredible journey you two have been on. We are so very ...proud of you and Nathan for how you've worked so hard, prayerfully, to grow through every step of this experience. Along with Brian and Rachelle, we are blessed grandparents, of an incredible child with so much joy that he has already shared with anyone who comes in contact with him. I know you and Nathan have taken every step you have taken with deep thought and prayer, and it's reflected in your writing, Shanna. Thank you for sharing the story and sharing the journey. It involves us all not only in the challenges but the blessings. We love you all! - Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey I have been following your blog since we were waiting to bring home out little girl from Ethiopia around the same time you were, we met our daughter on the same steps as met your son! I found another blog of a family in a similar situation as you and just thought it could be some encouragement to you. rogersadoptionstory dot blogspot dot com

    ReplyDelete