Saturday, August 14, 2010

Therapy

I think many new moms get the question, "So what new things is your baby doing now?" While the answer to this question may not be as exciting as the answers people are expecting (read: crawling, climbing, walking), the answer to this question can be quite exciting for us - any progress is progress and I am proud of how tough Levi is and how hard he works. Levi has physical therapy (PT) on Monday mornings and occupational therapy (OT) on Wednesday mornings. PT usually consists of working on gross motor skills - sitting up, getting to a seated position, and putting weight on his arms for crawling, standing. All of these things help build his muscles and get him closer to the "big" milestones. Many people have wondered what PT & OT look like with Levi. Most of the time it looks like they are just playing with him, but it is tailored to meet those big milestone goals. One of the more consistent things Levi does in PT is working with the exercise ball. (I will have to post a picture some time). We use the exercise ball to work on sitting or work on building his core by being on his tummy or more recently using it as a balance for standing. OT generally is geared towards fine motor skills. Our OT works a lot with Levi's left hand as well as working to build his facial/mouth muscles. If you happen to see Levi with blue tape sticking out of his shirt (or on his arm or hand), it's remnants of his OT sessions. This tape is a special type of tape that, for ease of understanding, encourages the nerves in the muscles. Because it is difficult for Levi's brain to tell his muscles to move, the tape kind of awakens the muscle and reminds Levi to use it. Most of the time, the tape runs along either side of Levi's spine, but occasionally she puts it down his left arm and on his shoulder. The best part of OT and PT is that they come to our house and I am able to sit and watch and ask questions so that I can continue their work with Levi on non-therapy days.

One of the more challenging things I face on a daily basis is "doing therapy" with Levi. Sometimes I just want to let him play around and "forget" about the work that we could/should be doing. I struggle with the balance of doing therapy and just being. While therapy can seem like play, I often forget how much work Levi is putting into our "playtime." And sometimes, on the days we are busy running around or I just feel like we both need a break, there is an initial guilt that follows..."I should be working with him...If we never missed a day would he be doing more? However, the TRUTH is that I am doing my best and doing what I feel like is good for both him and I. Sometimes, though, the truth seems a little elusive and those nagging feelings can take root for a few days. But, for the many times that I have felt discouraged about his progress or just discouraged in general, each and every time God never fails to follow up with something encouraging, whether it be an encouraging word from the therapists, new progress, or just having a fun day with my little man.

As far as progress, this past week or so has been one of great encouragement. We have seen great progress with his left hand; he is keeping it open more often, using to grasp a sippy cup (SO AWESOME!), and just recognizing that it is there. He is also beginning to put more weight on his legs, is sitting up much better and for longer periods of time without assistance. He is one tough little cookie. He truly brings us so much joy and I am so proud to be his momma. And on that note, here is a poem someone shared with me about adoption and the special needs "surprise":

Real Love

You weren't like other children,
And God was well aware,
You'd need a caring family,
With love enough to share.

And so He sent you to us,
And much to our surprise,
You haven't been a challenge,
But a blessing in disguise.

Your winning smiles and laughter,
The pleasures you impart,
Far outweigh your special needs,
And melt the coldest heart.

We're proud that we've been chosen,
To help you learn and grow,
The job that you have brought us,
Is more than you can know.

A precious gift from Heaven,
A treasure from above,
A child who's taught us many things,
But most of all- "Real Love"

Author Unknown

5 comments:

  1. The poem sounds like it could have been written by your Grandad. Beautiful! Don't forget that Levi actually held a spoon & put it in his mouth. Great progress!
    Love, Gramma (mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Levi! holding a cup and a spoon. awesome!

    Awesome job, Mom, too! Praying for peace for you as you seek to find the "balance".

    hugs,

    jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your heart Shanna. We are praying for you and Nate and Levi daily. Love the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rejoicing with you in the amazing progress and praying with you for wisdom as the journey continues! Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This poem is so fitting for Levi and you and Nathan. You both are doing such great things with Levi and it shows. God will continue to guide your steps and encourage you. We love you.
    JADA (Mom and geemaw)

    ReplyDelete