Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Celebrating National Adoption Month!

November is National Adoption Month, and November 7th is National Adoption Day. On November 7th, many families and churches around the country will be celebrating the beauty of adoption. I challenge YOU to celebrate, too!! There are many ways you can join the celebration...

1. Pray, Pray, Pray...for orphans waiting on a forever family, for families waiting on their children, and for the families making the choice of adoption for their child/ren
2. Support a great adoption organization (ie. Show Hope is a really great organization http://www.showhope.org/)
3. Support a family in the adoption process
4. Ask a family to share with you the joy of their adoption story
5. If you have ever thought about adopting...look into it! Go for it! I speak from experience - you will be blessed!

I sometimes get overwhelmed with the sheer number of orphans in the world and feel like I can't make a difference, because it's "just me." We can often talk ourselves out of things we might otherwise do because of these overwhelming feelings that a "problem" is just too big. Well, in one of the ways mentioned above, you can make a big difference in just one child or one family's life.

This thought of "oh, it's just me - what can I do?" has really been on my heart a lot lately. There will be more to come on this thought, but for now, I will leave you with this poem that speaks volumes to me:

I'm only one. But still, I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.
(found on here)

What can you do??

2 comments:

  1. You are one beautiful woman.... Nate and Levi are so lucky to have such a stunning woman in their lives with such a passion to see God's kingdom come. I am so lucky to have you in my life too. Love. love. love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey shanna-i don't have your email address for some reason....so i thought i'd comment on this post! our church is doing some things this month for adoptive parents. Potluck dinner Nov 7, Monthly Support group Nov 13, Club PBJ (play group) every other tuesday. You can contact Susan Bowden at sbowden7@frontier.net for more info. I love reading about Levi! =)

    ReplyDelete