A Day In the Life...
1. I know what she was thinking about our family, and it was not that our sons were adopted. She clearly was never listening to me, even though she asked me what Levi's name was. I said it and spelled it, but she continued on thinking whatever she wanted. If you ask a question listen to the answer.
2. I wanted to defend my husband as the father to both of our children, and as my immediate response dictated, they have no other dad.
3. I don't want to have to always clarify that my sons were adopted. I've said it before, I'll say it again, Levi and Machiah are my sons. They were adopted, now they are just my sons. Of course they will grow up knowing they were adopted, but I don't think it's necessary that I should have to spell it out every time for someone else's ignorance.
Had I had more time and patience (and clarity of thought) in the moment, I would have dealt with the situation right then and there. However, two boys, one getting cranky, I just needed to leave. However, I didn't want this to go unnoticed...not for me, not for any other family who might visit that office. I like our doctor too much to quit going (and besides, never seeing them again doesn't fix their problem), so, I called the office manager a few days later and let them know the situation. Thankfully, the manager was so kind and apologetic and as flabbergasted at the lady's asinine comment as I had been. Frankly, I think she was embarrassed that her employee would treat someone with such disrespect. She assured me that she would use our experience (though, change a few things to protect our privacy) in the next office staff meeting and assured me that nothing like it would happen again (along with more apologies). Thank you very much.
Thankfully, I have had few situations like this (I have one more, not so bad, to tell in another post). I came home and talked it through with Nate. Even though our boys are young, they will eventually be privy to understanding comments and situations like these. I want to use them as teachable moments, rather than moments I am frozen by surprise or indignation. My boys are learning from me in moments like these and I pray for the grace and wisdom to respond appropriately so that they will be able to respond as well when they are confronted with situations like this.
I admire how much grace you demonstrate in these circumstances. It is unfortunate that this person ignorantly tried to cover her own incompetence through her uncaring words. May we continue to grow in grace & wisdom. ( I love MY boys!). Mom
ReplyDeleteyou are such a wise mom. can I be like you when I grow up? :)
ReplyDelete