Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A (Short) Lesson in Amharic

As I have been reading There Is No Me Without You, I have been able to pick up a few words in Amharic. For your learning pleasure, I thought I would share them with you...(oh, yeah, this is just their phonetical English spelling, as given in the book; they look totally different in written Amharic)

Amaye/maye = Mother/mommy
Abaye/Abi = Father/Dad
Emama = grandmama
Ishi = okay
Tena yesteling = May God grant you health
Ferenga = white (white person)
Gelaytoe-minh = thank you
Negatie = good-bye

Also, I just found this on the internet...I was trying to find the word for "grandpa" because it wasn't in the book...check this link out for more phrases:
http://carolineum.de/internettchen/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/amharic-words.pdf

Happy learning!

1 comment:

  1. So how do you say PAPS! or PAPAW! ??? pretty neat... what a wonderful journey we all are on together!!!!!!! God is bringing a child into a wonderful family and families! We love you guys. and pray for our grandchild everyday!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete