We are so thankful for our friends. You all know who you are and we are so thankful for your prayers. One of our good friends, Sean and Molly, were over for the Purdue game on Thursday...(and, yes, they still remain our friends even after seeing how crazy we can get!) They knew that we had had a pretty difficult week the week before. Molly brought over a prayer shawl that she knitted just for us and Baby J. It is beautiful! It is such a reminder to me of how blessed we are to have so many people sending up prayers so consistently on our behalf. Sometimes I stop and really consider the magnitude of what we are pursuing here...
adopting from Ethiopia! Wow. That is just completely mind boggling sometimes. It is really funny sometimes to tell people for the first time who haven't yet heard that we are adopting. You can tell their wheels are spinning in their heads trying to comprehend what I've just told them
(Ethiopia....Ethiopia...wait a second...aren't they black
there? S
omething's not adding up here). I write this with a smile on my face. Yep, we will be raising a black child, and yep, it's a little bit crazy to us, too. I am all of the time excited, nervous, scared, anxious, full of hope and amazement. How are we going to care for this child? What will it be like to raise this black child in a white home? How will people respond to us? How often will we encounter people who lack grace and understanding? Am I ready for that? My sister and I were talking the other day about the special ways you have to care for black hair and skin...even the small things like that constantly cross my mind. I do know I already love this child more than I can explain...and I haven't even met him yet. In the moments where I have these questions, I know that this is right where God wants me.
I guess I just share these things so you know that we have these questions, too, if these things have ever crossed your mind. I think sometimes people are afraid to talk about the obvious...Anyway, these are things we think about and I guess I want you to know that it is okay that you have thought about them, too.
We had a big get-together with our family and friends last night to celebrate my brother's recent marriage to his wonderful bride, Jene'e. There were tons of kids running around, and Nate and I drove home looking forward to the day that one of those kids will be ours. It's hard to imagine sometimes, but the day is quickly approaching, and despite my concerns and fears, I know it will be such a joyful experience. No day will be perfect, but I don't think Baby J expects perfection...just someone to love him unconditionally. And that's definitely something we can do.
Beautiful Prayer Shawl
From Mom: Yeah, lots of beautiful children running around enjoying each other's company. I am also looking forward to one or more being MY grandchildren! (But remember, you won't be able to leave quite so easily).
ReplyDeleteNote: I plan to work on that nursery decor this week. Whaooo!!
From Mom, again. Have you read Ponsler's blog about items that were good to take on their trip to Ethiopia? ANd the blog about the Whipples who are now in Ethiopia adopting their Isaac? Talk about a beautiful baby!!
ReplyDeleteHey! Expect a little surprise sometime soon... I coped with the 'I wish I could be there...' by having a little too much fun!! =)
ReplyDeleteYou and Nate are going to be such amazing parents!
Love you guys,
Christen
From Katrina: I'm so overjoyed to see your perspective on this! I know that you have heard this many times, but I will say it again: YOU ARE GOING TO BE AMAZING PARENTS! I'm so excited to see our kiddos playing together! It was so good to catch up Saturday...looking forward to getting into our once-a-month rendezvous with the kiddos! Love you!
ReplyDeleteFrom Katrina again: P.S. I LOVE the new layout...yay for brown and blue!
ReplyDelete