So, this day has traditionally not been the most fun day of my life. I'll spare you the details of Mother's Day pasts, but I will say overall, today was a good day. I will share about the unsolicited advice from the stranger next to our table at Eddie Merlot's...
Nate and I took Jada out for lunch and sitting next to us was a very talkative (insert overly talkative and intrusive) man that was an acquaintance to Jada. He and his wife violated two of the biggest pet peeves total strangers can say to me. One: He exclaimed over and over how young we looked and how he couldn't believe we were actually married (I think he thought we were brother and sister - Uh, no)...and to be married over six years absolutely astounded him....of course, he added "No offense, you'll love that as you get older." Well, I've only heard that more times than I care to remember, and while I might enjoy that comment in ten years, I surely don't right now because what I hear is, "Wow...you look 16 years old, how could you be older than 20!" (Something we've both been told more than once). So, already, he is not on my favorite list. So, to top it off, as they get up to leave his "lovely" wife says, "Well, I couldn't help but overhearing that you've been married almost seven years, and I just have to say, because it's Mother's Day and all, you know your mom is just waiting on those grandkids." AWESOME!! Thanks for the advice...we'll get right on that. Of course, I just sit there in silence, when I actually wanted to give her a piece of my mind, but as I always do, I just smile and nod, smile and nod. Oh, the joys...
I will say, if I would have gotten that comment a year ago, I would have melted to pieces. BUT, I have bigger and better things to look forward to and today, I celebrate the blessing of being the soon-to-be mommy of Baby J and the proud and grateful daughter of Rachelle Harlow.
Your awesome. I would have straight up ripped her to pieces, but thats what we do in Cali when people are all up in your business. I am excited that this time next year you'll have a little baby for me to play with!! YAYYY FOR JAMBALAYA!
ReplyDeleteI heart you.--jenee (your FAVORITE sister-in-law who's last name is harlow... covering my grounds)
I never cease to be amazed at the ignorance of some people. Thankfully, God's grace flows through you so that you can focus on His blessings...those here now (yo mama), and those to come (Baby J)!
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Katrina :)