Sunday, January 11, 2009

Let the Prayers begin...

I am assuming I am no different than any other mom preparing for the arrival of her children...I can hardly think about anything else and my mind is constantly running with random things - everything from names to nursery to organization. Ha! (I am also finding that things that seemed important before seem inconsequential.) But there is not a whole lot right now for me to do, so I just think and pray and thank God for this time in my life. (I am sure that I will look back at this post in a month or two with a bit of wistfulness when things really start picking up with all of the paperwork and everything else...) Anyway, as I think about these things, of course there are items that come up that we would appreciate you praying alongside of us...

1. Health and Safety. We are guessing that our children are conceived at this point, and probably pretty far along in the pregnancy. If I were to guess, I would say around 5-6 months??(Crazy, huh?) We ask that you would pray for their health and safety as they grow in the comfort of their birth mother's womb. With that, we ask that you not only pray for our children but for the birth mother and father that they, too, are also safe and healthy.

2. Birthmother. We ask that you pray for our children's birth mother. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to have to give your child to someone else. No matter the circumstances, it would never be easy. Please keep her in your prayers.

3. TWINS!! I would really be ecstatic if we were able to have twins. I don't have a preference for boy or girl, but I would really love for our children to grow up together and know that they have a shared history in Ethiopia as well as in our family.

4. The process. There is SO much red tape that we have to go through. There are pre-applications and applications for almost everything it seems. We are dealing with several agencies in two countries. Pray that everything goes smoothly and as quickly as can be expected.

5. Patience! Knowing that my children are probably already out there somewhere is such an overwhelming thought and the fact that I am not able to be with them is heartbreaking. There is such a distance between us, but I know that God has them safely in His hands and will bring us together in His perfect timing. (We are guessing it will be around 9-12 months from now, but could be as early as six...although we are not counting on that.)

6. Home Study. This is the next big thing that we will be doing. We will be sending in the application to the agency (different than CWA) this week to do that. We are hoping that we will be able to get right in and begin the process as soon as we are accepted as their client. Also just be praying for the home study itself. Although I am not currently nervous, it is pretty involved and we will have to answer and explain a lot of things. Pray for clarity of mind and peace as we are "interrogated." :)

7. Preparation. We do have a lot to do between now and when we leave on the plane to pick up our children. Most of all, however, we pray that God will prepare us in wisdom and knowledge as parents of adopted children. We have no doubt that we have been graciously given this opportunity and we want to honor God and give our children the best possible home we can.

Thanks for praying with us. Please give us a call or email us if you have any questions at any time.

6 comments:

  1. Shanna, we are so excited for you! We are praying that everything happens quickly for you! I know that any child(ren) that you are able to adopt will have a wonderful life filled with love! Nicole and BJ Dunham

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read through your posts and am sitting at my computer in tears! I am just so overjoyed for both of you and amazed at the goodness and faithfulness of God. Your story is such an awesome testimony to how perfect God's timing is in our lives. CONGRATULATIONS!!! You are in my prayers! :) -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you two, I can barely stand it! Let's get that baby(ies) over here and get the spoiling started! God has truly blessed the two of you to this point and will continue to bless your little family. This will be such an exciting adventure for you, and I feel so privileged to be able to witness it. We love you both so much. You will be amazing parents! Aunt Joy, Uncle Mike, Andrew & Karli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori and I are super juiced for you guys. We just kept talking about it off and on the whole night and next day. After talking to others about adopting it is completely evident that God has a plan for you guys and giving these children homes is part of it. I cannot wait to see what else he has in store for you two....three.....four...guys. I guess we should start investing in more expansion packs to board games huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so excited for you and Nate!!! You will be in our thoughts and prayers as you make this journey together. It will such a blessing to see how God works out all the details and you finally get to bring your little one(s) home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nate and Shanna! We are so excited for you guys! Can't wait to meet your little one or two!!! You guys will be fabulous parents. We are excited to see how God will use your testimony through this process to glorify Himself. He is faithful and will be with you every step of the way! Hold on to him through the ups and downs. We absolutely couldn't be more thrilled for you right now. We will be praying for your baby(ies) and for you both.

    So glad you started this blog to keep everyone up to date. Super idea.

    hurray, hurray, hurray!

    hugs and prayers,

    Eric & Jen Potter

    ReplyDelete